Don’t Wear This, Dude: Summer Scarf Edition

When I look at this photo, I want to grab both ends of that thing and pull… hard.

It’s summertime, it’s hot out, you don’t need a scrap of wrinkled fabric wrapped around your neck in an attempt to make you look cool.

I’m not uncultured or unworldly, I live in NYC and have spent plenty of time in France & Italy. I’m sure some otherwise extremely well dressed Italian dudes wear these things all the time, but I just think they look ridiculous. I’ll even given those guys a pass, because at least they pull it off as best they can and probably pioneered numerous other trends I’m quite fond of. However, your regular dude in [insert U.S. city name here], give me a break…

I saw this in the the May issue of Details magazine and had to fight back a little vomit in my throat.

What are your thoughts on summer scarves?

Jamie is the Founder of The Dude Society and a New York City based web designer & developer. He really likes telling people how to think, act, and dress.

All articles by Jamie »

10 Responses to “Don’t Wear This, Dude: Summer Scarf Edition”

1. Ella says:

Thank you. This is possibly the dumbest trend for guys ever and someone needs to put a stop to it.

2. Steve says:

Nah I am down with the summer scarf, not mid summer, but early and late summer for sure!

3. Kyle says:

I'm a very big fan of your site (even though I know most of this stuff already) and am wondering how you feel about a dirty little secret I have…I have a penchant for ascots. And no, I'm not Thurston Howell III, nor do I think I'm Heff.

4. Ash says:

Here is one for you: why do American me wear undershirts under polos, dress shirts and even T-shirts? I lived abroad for years and it broke my American undershirt habit. Yeah, sure, I will often wear an undershirt when I am suited up with a necktie but other than that, never.

5. Joseph says:

It’s a bit of a catch 22 situation here. American men get judged for wearing clothes that are different for the norm, so they become unstylish. American men accept they’re unstylish, so they judge anybody that attempts to be stylish.

The Italian and French men are just men like you are (half of New York originates from Italy), but they live in a culture where they’re encouraged to express their style and taste, instead of being judged for being preppy or whatever term you want to use.

• Jamie says:

True perhaps, but I am just a bit more utilitarian. A stylish scarf is fine, when it's cold, I have quite a few.