How To Rock The Stubble Look
While some people have to be clean-shaven for work every day, others have more flexibility in how they wear their facial hair. We’ve already told you we don’t approve of hair shaved into shapes… so let that be clear.
Many women find a little scruff on a guy very sexy. On the other hand, if you don’t do it right, what you think might be sexy actually will make you look totally frumptastic (bad).
Rules for rocking stubble:
- Shave at night (your whole face). If you shave at night, you’ll already be on your way to some decent stubble by morning. Also, let’s say you shave every five days… shaving at night will give your skin more time to recover from shaving five days of hair growth.
- Don’t try to shape it. Some people will tell you to shave your neck when rocking stubble, meaning the chin line and below. I strongly disagree with this. If you’re growing a full on beard, then yes, you should clean up the edges. However, the whole point of stubble is to look cool/sexy without trying. Having your neck obviously shaved negates that entire point.
- One exception to the no-shaping rule. If you have some stray hairs growing too high on your cheeks, you should get rid of them. If there are only a few, plucking them with tweezers is the best method for removal. If you have to shave them, do it very carefully and make sure it’s not noticeable that you shaved.
- Watch the length. Stubble is not a full beard, make sure you shave (or trim) it regularly enough to keep up with the speed your hair grows.
You should NOT wear stubble if:
- Your facial hair does not grow in evenly. Patchy hair or a neck beard is never a good look, so just shave it clean.
- You have a chubby face. Not going to sugarcoat it… if you have a little pudge on your face, letting it get covered in stubble will most likely accentuate the problem.
- You have uneven skin tone. This one is a bit subjective, but if your face looks patchy due to any skin conditions, adding extra contrast with facial hair may not help you out. Best bet is to ask one of your chick friends for an honest opinion.
- Your hair is a weird color. Lets be honest… some dudes have weird color facial hair. If this is you, the stubble look might not be for you. Typically, dark hair works best for the stubble look. As mentioned previously, skin tone also plays a role. So, getting an objective opinion from someone is a good idea.
- It doesn’t fit your style. Stubble isn’t meant for everyone. It sends a subtle, “I don’t need to bother shaving because I look good anyway” message. So, if you’re totally straight edge, wearing your khakis and dress shirt every day… this look might not be for you.